It is important to follow good skin care practices in order not to add more pimples to your acne. Here are some self-help tips to help you address your acne:
- Never squeeze or pick your pimples – Doing these will transfer germs in your hands and fingers to the pimples and will aggravate your pimple problem. If you want to mitigate your acne problem promptly, visit your physician.
- Avoid as much as possible your hair to come into contact with your face and areas with acne. Actually, you also need to avoid other objects to come into contact with your acne. Sweating can increase the presence of germs in your skin so do not wear tight clothing and even hats that may exacerbate your acne.
- Use a mild cleanser to clean your acne – it is not recommended to use astringents, facial scrubs and masks on the affected areas since they can irritate the skin and inflame your acne. Too much scrubbing and washing of the skin is counter effective since they also tend to irritate the skin.
- Do not use cosmetic products with too much oil. There are products that are labeled nonacnegenic or non-comedogenic which do not irritate or inflame your skin. You can utilize water-based skin products that are gentle to the skin. Avoid using products or medications that make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. If you have acne, stay away from direct sunlight as much as possible.
- Some people may find skin treatment drugs with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide helpful in controlling and minimizing their acne.
Some other recommended home remedies can include:
- Fruit and vegetarian diet – Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants that eradicate skin damaging toxins and free radicals. However, you need to avoid citruses like lemon and oranges and lemon. You may eat, though, pineapples, apples, peaches and pears as well as vegetables like watercress, sprouts, garlic, onions, seaweed, kelp and carrots.
- Saturated Fat-free Diet – Dairy products should be off-limits for acne sufferers. Foods such as buttermilk, homogenized milk, ice cream and plain milk should be avoided. If the acne lesions have gradually waned, you then may be able to eat these dairy products. Junk foods are even worse than dairy products so avoid eating foods like processed foods, French fries and chips if you want to control and lessen your acne. Eating whole grains, broiled fish and tofu is a much better diet for you.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine – Also to be avoided are carbonated drinks.
- Tea Tree Oil – This natural medication is much more effective than conventional blemish medications. It has strong antibiotic attributes that can effectively treat acne.
- Lemon Juice – Applying lemon juice on the acne lesions can clean your acne and kill the germs in the pores. Add water to the squashed lemon and then apply it over the lesions.
DeJongh Acupuncture Clinic
2929 SW 3rd Ave #610
Miami, FL 33129