Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is not a condition you would want to experience on a regular basis. No one wants to always experience breathing difficulty, nausea, heartburn, sleepless nights or pain in the chest. If you have GERD you may want to communicate with someone who can understand what you feel and what your problem exactly is. You can find such people in a GERD support group. This type of group provides relief for individuals who experience a common condition. With a little help from understanding individuals, you can learn how to manage your issues and consider lifestyle changes if need be.
There are very good reasons to join an acid reflux support group. They can:
- Assist and support you when you have decided to stop drinking alcohol or smoking that can all lead to the lessening of your acid reflux disease
- Provide you their time to listen to your distressful experiences with GERD
- Share with you new and relevant information regarding medicines like beta blockers, surgery, lifestyle modifications and alternative therapies
- Give you vital information on what foods to avoid instead of promoting medicines and antacids like Nexium, Gavsicon, Zantac and Pepcid
If you have a kid who suffers from GERD, a support group will assist you in:
- Widening your options for treatment
- Knowing the causes of GERD
- Knowing what tests are appropriate for your child’s condition
- Determining if your child indeed has GERD rather than being colic
- Understanding much better what GERD is all about
When you join a GERD support group, you also begin to know more about yourself besides getting to know people who completely understand your problem. You can be who you really are when you are with them. It enables you to make more friends who truly and genuinely want to help you and others with your GERD problems.
Oftentimes a GERD support group will organize enjoyable family activities besides the sharing of experiences. These activities give you some moments of joy and fun enabling you to forget your condition even for a little while. When your symptoms begin to worsen, you will be glad to know that there will be people who really care and empathize with you and even share your suffering. A lot of these people have been in the support group for many years and are seasoned veterans when it comes coping and living with GERD everyday. They are more than glad to share with you their experiences of GERD and family life with you.
If you actively involve yourself in a GERD support group you give as well as get very important and practical insights and priceless advices for infants and adults who are living with GERD. You also are given free rein to information on surgical, drugs, treatments, complications, causes and symptoms regarding GERD. One important benefit in joining an acid reflux support group is you and you children get to learn to cope well on daily tips from people who are undergoing the same situation. The group will answer all questions you have regarding heartburn or GERD. The veterans are willing to impart to you all vital information about GERD without any cost to you. Still, do not forget that an acid reflux support group should never replace the advices, recommendations and opinions of your doctor.
Nawei’s Acupuncture Clinic
559 E. Pikes Peak Ave. Suite 212
Colorado Springs, CO 80903